PEP0238 lament

Ben Wolfson rumjuggler at cryptarchy.org
Mon Jul 23 22:35:11 EDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 02:28:50 +0100, Stephen Horne
<steve at lurking.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:27:06 -0400, "Tim Peters" <tim at digicool.com>
>wrote:
>
>>try-giving-it-a-rest-for-12-hours?-ly y'rs  - tim
>
>Sorry - insomnia brought on by anxiety due to the anticipation of
>severe damage to my professional reputation and a lot of unnecessary
>work.
>
>If you had as many cases of "£"+str(Amount/100)+"."+str(amount%100)
>and similar in your code as I do - most of which I don't even know who
>has it or who might have tweaked versions (and I know as an absolute
>fact those warnings will either not be seen at all or will be ignored)
>you'd be just as pissed of as I am.

This seems like a pretty good reason to leave '/' the way it is and have
'//' be for float division.  A lot of the opposition to the change seems
not to be to the idea, but just to the necessity of going through code
changing '/' to '//', so why not make it possible to avoid that?

--
Barnabas T. Rumjuggler
No man can run so fast that he can escape his own past's projectile vomit.