Problems with Install

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Fri Jan 26 13:30:15 EST 2001

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 08:36:51AM -0800, Ben Ocean wrote:
| Hi;
| I'm at a loss to understand why I can't get python working. I had it
| working before I moved my server. I re-installed it from src and typed
| *python* and got a prompt. I was ecstatic. So I went to re-install Zope and
| that installation failed. So I typed in *python* again and got
| bash: python: command not found

It's not in the path.

| How is that? It was just there! Where did it go? So I ripped out everything
| that had to do with python on my server and started over. When I got to
| *make* I got this error:
|
| make[1]: *** [myreadline.o] Error 1
| make[1]: Leaving directory `/apache/vhosts/Python-1.5.2/Parser'
| make: *** [Parser] Error 2

The actual error is above this point.  There is some problem building
myreadline.o.  Maybe a compiler error or a linker error.  Once you are
at this point, scroll up in your term and find where gcc gave the
actual error message.  (make doesn't know what went wrong, only that
gcc said something went wrong)

| It repeated with *make install* What am I missing? Also, I may have made a
| bad mistake in deleting everything python in my box, please advise. Running
| RedHat 6.2.
| TIA,BenO

I'd advise along the same lines as David : use the rpms.  If you want
the lastest and greatest, get the srpm.  Then:

$ rpm -ta <name>.srpm

This will create <name>.i386.rpm in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386

(by default, if you are using an x86 system)

then

# rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/<name>.i386.rpm

If you really want to build from the sources, it is a good idea to
learn C (or at least the C build environment) so that you will
understand the error messages you get.  Packages are nice because
non-programmers don't have to deal with build/compilation errors.

-D