How to write to tempfile, remove whitespace, and copy to source ..?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at effbot.org
Sun Jan 21 12:51:24 EST 2001

Randolph MacKenzie wrote:
> I want a module that will remove the extra whitespace from all text files in
> a target directory.

> I want to use the tempfile command (on a Windoze2000 box).

you probably want the "inplace" flag to fileinput.input
instead:

    Optional in-place filtering: if the keyword argument
    inplace=1 is passed to input() or to the FileInput
    constructor, the file is moved to a backup file and
    standard output is directed to the input file. This
     makes it possible to write a filter that rewrites its
    input file in place.

    http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-fileinput.html

Cheers /F