updating idle

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Mon Jan 8 04:09:26 EST 2001

[Tom Connor]
> I'm just getting back to some programming after 20+ years.  I'd
> like to dupdate the IDLE 4.0 I now have installed with Python
> 1.5.2 to IDLE 5.0.  I've downloaded and gunzipped and untarred it.
> Where does it go?  and is there a preferred prcedure for this?

Better idea:  uninstall 1.5.2 and download Python 2.0.  1.5.2 is going on
two years old, and is no longer supported.  2.0, of course, ships with the
most recent IDLE included.  If you don't want to, though, delete the files
from your Python's Tools/idle/ subdirectory, and untar IDLE into that
directory.  Caution:  I'm not sure all the latest IDLE's features will
actually work under 1.5.2.

one-concrete-meaning-of-"unsupported"<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim