How to think about Python's few controversies (was: Migrating to perl?)

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Fri Jan 5 10:42:39 EST 2001

In article <2021AFB9F318BFB8.57ECE2FBE8BE9A50.59A8AF63203CCFD1 at lp.airnews.net>,
Cameron Laird <claird at starbase.neosoft.com> wrote:

>    More generally, Python is quite clean.  It has
>    a few consistent syntactic controversies--signi-
>    ficant white space, (un)encapsulation, a few
>    perceived deficiencies in assignment and
>    looping--but the remarkable thing is that each
>    of these is, from all the evidence, more of an
>    issue for spectators than participants.  Python's
>    made the right choices.  It works well.  Even if,
>    say, significant white space discomforts you on
>    some abstract level, my prediction is that you'll
>    quickly come to like it once you try it.

I'll note that the whitespace issue still irritates me a bit when I'm
writing code.  But I don't whine about it because Python has the most
readable code I've ever seen, and I know the whitespace is part of the
reason for it.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"This is Usenet.  We're all masturbating in public places."  -DH