ANN: Stackless Python 2.0

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Thu Jan 11 09:50:07 EST 2001

Paul Moore wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Jan 2001 23:37:55 +0100 , Christian Tismer
> <tismer at tismer.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm happy to announce that
> >
> >               Stackless Python 2.0
> >
> >is finally ready and available for download.
> >
> >Stackless Python for Python 1.5.2+ also got some minor
> >enhancements. Both versions are available as Win32
> >installer files here:
> >
> >http://www.stackless.com/spc20-win32.exe
> >http://www.stackless.com/spc15-win32.exe
>
> Can you please describe in detail what the installer does? I have
> ActivePython 2.0 installed, and I would like to try Stackless, but I
> am not ready to switch over completely. I am concerned (as I always am
> with installer packages!) that the installer may write registry
> entries and/or install files in the Windows directory which could
> clash with standard Python.

The installer does:
- look into your registry for the installed Python version
- create an soc directory:  <python>/spc
- create a backup directory: <python>/spc/BACKUP
- places your system's python<whatever>.dll into the backup
- installs my python<whatever>.dll into your system directory
- puts several demo files into the spc directory
- puts continuation.pyd into <python>/DLLs
- puts an uninstaller into your <python>/spc directory.

After installing, no registry entries are changed.
The only real change is that your original Python dll has
been moved into the backup, and mine has been inserted
instead.
The uninstaller does a complete reversal of that, given that
you click "yes" on the "rollback" option. Unfortunately,
I cannot influence Wise here. It should select this
option by default, but it cannot be configured.

> Alternatively, is there a binary distribution which is not in
> installer format?

No. But after installation, everything is still there. And you
still can run your previous installation, when your starting
directory is that BACKUP directory.
Of course, you can remove the replaced python<whatever>.dll
from your system directory, put it elsewhere where you want
to test it, and move the original file back if you want.

I believe you can trust this installer. I'm using it myself,
and I'm installing and uninstalling many times during development.

Question to the Stackless list:

Should I add an option button to the installer
to *not* replace the system dll, but put the new dll into
the <python>/spc directory, for testing purposes?

ciao - chris