mxODBC Help

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 30 04:46:00 EST 2001

"Fabrizio" <facelle at jumpy.it> wrote in message
news:954i0o$pg4$1 at serv1.albacom.net...
> Hi,
>
> Newbie, Python2.0, Windows98.
>

> I just would like to try to access to some MS Access or MS Excel data to
> play around with Python.
>
> I am trying to install mxODBC on my system, but this is what I get if I
run
> the included "test.py" script (I have installed Date Time and it seems to
> work fine):
    [snip]
> DriverConnect arguments [DSN=test;UID=test;PWD=test]:
    [snip]
> OperationalError: ('IM002', 0, '[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Nome
> origine dati non trovato e driver predefinito non specificato.', 4316)
>
> The last line, in Italian, sounds like : "Couldn't find data origin name
and
> predefined driver not specified".

So, *DO* you have a 'test' DSN defined, and accessible with
a userid of 'test' and a password of 'test'?  The ODBC Driver
Manager is saying that you don't (and I think the message is
referring specifically to the DSN, not to userid/password).

You could try making one (Start/Settings/Control Panel/Data
Sources(ODBC)/System DSN/Add..., on an NT4 machine; I think
this basically work similarly on all Win32 boxes).

Alex