Tkinter vs wxPython: your opinions?

Robin Dunn robin at alldunn.com
Thu Jan 25 18:02:31 EST 2001

> >The objects in wxPython are more full-featured (I guess--for some
> >definition of full featured), but aren't as easily configurable
> >as the Tkinter ones.
>
>  There is a trade off between having your own, completely customizable
> (because you can tweak them in any way you like) widgets and using the
> standard ones. wxWindows chooses the 2nd i.e. it favours the native look and
> feel...

...by actually using the native widgets.  IIRC, Tk used to self-draw everything like Java's Swing does, but is now (version 8+) a hybrid using some(?) native widgets on MSW.  I think Qt also self-draws on MSW, (please correct me if I'm wrong.)  While this makes things like skins, themes or pluggable look and feel possible, some corporate environments and some people require native LnF, preferably with native widgets so your app doesn't look "old" when the OS is upgraded and the native LnF changes...

wxWindows uses all native widgets on MSW and Mac, and wraps GTK on X.  However, sometime later this year we'll have the best of both worlds as there is a themeable (and skinable I think) self-draw version of wxWindows in the works.

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman