python compiled to native in less than a year?

Neil Schemenauer nas at arctrix.com
Mon Jan 15 09:58:48 EST 2001

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 04:18:12PM +0000, scotth wrote:
> Since Python will be one of the .NET languages, it will get
> compiled like all the other .NET languages.  Whatever the
> problems, ActiveState/MS have/are going to over come it if my
> info is correct.

A compiler is not magic.  There is not a lot of work that can be
done at compile time to speed up Python.  The language is dynamic
to the extreme.  If you are looking for something similar in
style to Python but can also be made to run very quickly you
should look at Dylan.  If you can grok the syntax, Common Lisp
code with the proper declarations can be fast as well.

It used to bother me that Python is so slow.  I don't care much
anymore.  I don't know if its the fact that I'm getting older and
more mature or if its that machines are getting so fast now that
it doesn't really matter.  I guess knowing that I can quite
easily write a C extension module helps too.

  Neil