"in" for dicts (was: Python 2.1 function attributes)

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Tue Jan 30 03:56:51 EST 2001

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 07:19:42AM -0500, Tim Peters wrote:
>     for line in f.readlines():

> would have been almost infinitely preferable, had we been able to dream up a
> reasonable way to do that lazily that wouldn't break some existing code.
> But we couldn't.

I disagree. We could have (using a lazy wrapper class/type), but Guido
didn't want to change the return type of f.readlines(). It would have been
more trouble, and it would have opened the door for a lot more fake-lists,
but I still don't think it would have broken much code :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>