Tkinter vs wxPython: your opinions?

Robert L Hicks bobhicks at adelphia.net
Fri Jan 26 15:42:51 EST 2001

> On 25 Jan 2001 19:41:19 GMT, Neil Cerutti <cerutti at together.net> wrote:
>> The current documentation for Tkinter is much better than what is
>> available for wxPython.
>
> This is very strange. Where is good documentation for Tkinter to be found?
> When I had tried to learn using it (this was 5 years ago, true) I couldn't
> find any documentation at all. wxWindows documentation is probably what
> has personally attracted me so much to it.

Python and Tkinter Programming by John Grayson is a fantastic Tkinter
resource.

Fredrik Lundh has a Tkinter tutorial up as well which is very good and gets
better with time.

>> wxPython's documentation seems to be in the state Tkinter's was
>> back when all there was was the _Tkinter life preserver_.
>
> I still wonder what documentation are you speaking of? Do you mean wxWindows
> documentation (because this is what you should use, it has special python
> notes in it but globally it's the same set of docs) or something else?

It has Python notes yes...but if you don't have a C++ background to figure
out the original wxWindows part it makes it kind of rough. I know I have
tried it.

The documentation *should* show you how to do it in wxPython not in
wxWindows with Python notation.

Of course what widget set you use is like asking someone Perl or Python or
Emacs or Vi.  : )

--
<BH />

"If I spelled your name wrong just consider that I have changed your name to
protect the innocent or some such rot."