Migrating to perl?

Cary O'Brien cobrien at Radix.Net
Tue Jan 9 09:02:00 EST 2001

In article <mailman.978665345.25536.python-list at python.org>,
Tim Peters <tim.one at home.com> wrote:
>[Joel Ricker]
>> I'm thinking of moving from perl to python and I was looking for
>> opinions on the difference.
[snip]
>> Are the modules and add-ons as good as perl (ie, Database --
>> I'm primarily interested in MySQL, CGI, Graphics).
>
>I haven't done any of that stuff in Python; must leave for someone else.

I'll bite.

I know you didn't ask about TCL, but it makes the argument more
balanced.

The range of extension packages for Python is between that of Perl
and TCL. Perl has a wider range of extensions, TCL has a smaller
range of extensions.  Python has more that come with the standard
distribution, but Perl has a great public-access setup for modules
(Comperhensive Perl Archive Network - CPAN).  It can be hard to
find Python modules (especially after the starship crash), but not
as hard to find as TCL modules.

As for quality, my feeling is that Perl and Python modules are of
the same high quality.  TCL modules fall behind, and are often
unmaintained and out-of-date.  There are some exceptions, such
as the way-cool scotty package for doing SNMP with TCL.  In this
case "quality" includes ease-of-building, documentation, and
run-time features.

All languages have good support for the major databases [1].

As for CGI, All three languages have both simple CGI modules and big,
complex systems for web sites, like Mason (perl), Zope (Python (perl
coming)) and AOLServer (TCL).

Did I make any mistakes?

-- cary

[1] Check out PostgreSQL before you decide on MySQL.  A python
    interface comes with it.