jython beta question

strupl at my-deja.com strupl at my-deja.com
Mon Jan 8 08:22:08 EST 2001

In article <93305c$7ej$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
lobozc at my-deja.com wrote:
> I just found on the net jython beta - still
downloading as I am writing
> this. Looks veeery interesting - hence a big
question.

www.netbeans.org IDE,
> version 3.1 beta. In difference to it's twin
> NetBeans also has a 'scripting window', which
allows you to type some
> script code in a three different scripting
langauges, JPython being one
> of them.
>
> 1) How can I use Jython instead of JPython in
that window? [I'm used to
> list comprehensions :-)]

To integrate a scripting language to use with NetBeans scripting console you
basically need (in simple case) one class and one entry in a manifest file.
The class for JPython is here
http://www.netbeans.org/source/browse/scripting/src/org/netbeans/modules/scri
pting/JPythonScriptType.java

If you can create similar class for Jython (you
don't have to
use reflection, it is there only to gracefully
recover if the
JPython is not there) you can try it. You can find
more
details about this at
http://scripting.netbeans.org. If you
need more assistance please send us questions like
this
to nbdev at netbeans.org (details about the list is at
http://www.netbeans.org/mail-top.html). If you will be
successful and want other people to use your solution
please see http://www.netbeans.org/contributing.html

> 2) Are there any plans to integrate Jython with
NetBeans IDE? [Which
> would be very cute, saved plenty of work - but
require a lot of work,
> too ;-)].

Well this depends what do you mean by integrating.
If you mean to use
it in the scripting console window this is quite
easy and could
be done. To include Jython with NetBeans our
lawyers will have
to examine the Jython license first. If you mean
integration
with syntax coloring, debugging etc. this would
require to
start a standalone project (and a lot of work indeed).

Hope this helps,

David Strupl

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/