Q: win32all license for python 1.5.2?

Michael Scharf Michael.Scharf at gmx.de
Wed Jan 10 04:53:13 EST 2001

Hi,

I am slightly confused with the python licenses: We use
python 1.5.2 for a commercial product (SNiFF+
http://www.windriver.com/products/html/sniff.html). We now
want to use the win32 COM extensions from
http://www.python.org/windows/win32all .

Following the links, I end up with this license agreement:

http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/License_Agreement.html

  ... You may not distribute copies of this Package, or copies of
  packages derived from this Package, to others outside your
  organization without specific prior written permission from
  ActiveState (although you are encouraged to direct them to
  sources from which they may obtain it for themselves)...

The questions:
- Can we use win32all for our commercial product?
- Do we need this permission for the 1.5.2 version?
- What must copyright notes must appear where?
- What do we have to make available and in which form?

I'm slightly confused (I remember the times when python was
only under the simple "Stichting Mathematisch Centrum Amsterdam"
copyright...)

Can anybody explain this to me (or give me a pointer to a
document, a non-native speaker and non-lawyer can
understand...)

Michael
--
     ''''\     Michael Scharf