Q: JPython, NumPy, and PIL?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Wed Jan 3 09:24:25 EST 2001

In article <mailman.978473703.23145.python-list at python.org>,
D-Man  <dsh8290 at rit.edu> wrote:

>Sure, it's a python module.  But you will need to have the C parts of
>it compiled and reachable on the system you will run it on.  It may be
>more complicated having the Java + Python + C interaction, so you
>might run into other problems and decide it's not worth it to try.
			.
			.
			.
>> Can I use the NumPy or PIL libraries from JPython?
			.
			.
			.
I'm not sure how to read this.  Has something
changed so that "a python module" is somehow
inherently available to both of CPython and
Jython simultaneously?  There was a time when
that was not automatic.

In particular, I generally consider smushing
C-coded modules in with Java stuff (that is,
using JNI) a non-trivial task.  My answer would
be, "No, you can't use PIL from Jython without
substantial work."

Pure-Python modules are, of course, mostly fine.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net