Hack request: rational numbers

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Jan 28 17:00:54 EST 2001

Rainer Deyke wrote:

> Why not add native quaternion support to Python?  Quaternions are
> complex
> numbers where the imaginary part is a vector in three dimensions,
> defined in
> terms of unit vectors i, j, and k.

Ah, but why?  :-)  Besides, the use of 1, i, j, k for quaternion units
is inconsistent with using 1, j (not 1, i) for complex units.

Why not just go all the way and support full geometric algebras of
arbitrary dimensionality?

The answer is, of course, because programmers don't generally need such
functionality built into the language.

(There is a geometric algebra module for Python, by the way.)

/  \ In our family we don't divorce our men -- we bury them.
\__/ Ruth Gordon
    Alcyone Systems / http://www.alcyone.com/
 Alcyone Systems, San Jose, California.