curses, python20/152, RH70/62, postgresql problems

A.M. Kuchling amk at mira.erols.com
Thu Jan 18 22:18:16 EST 2001

Let's tackle these one by one.
On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:44:49 GMT, dubal at my-deja.com <dubal at my-deja.com> wrote:
>We then tried to compile Py20 source on RH7. It
>gives some LONG_BIT error and stops.

This is not a GCC problem; it is a glibc problem.  Red Hat has
released an updated RPM for glibc, so installing it should let you
compile Python 2.0 without difficulty.  Trying to use kgcc wouldn't
help, because it's not the compiler's fault.

>We found following problems:
>1. Color cannot be used because the required vars
>are not available.

The curses module was greatly enhanced for Python 2.0.  The version
included with 1.5.2 is older and simpler, so features such as colour
aren't available.

>This python has API version 1009, modules _pg has
>version 1007
>How to fix this?
>It seems to work after this warning. We checked
>the pygresql site. It says their next version
>will have py20 compatibility. Do you think it is
>ok to use _pg with the version mismatch?

Presumably the _pg RPM has been compiled for Python 1.5.2, where the
API_VERSION was 1007; in Python 2.0 the API_VERSION is 1009.  This
warning indicates the mismatch, but Python's C API tries to be
backward compatible, so it probably shouldn't cause trouble, beyond
printing the warning every time.  Recompiling the _pg extension with
Python 2.0 installed should fix this, though the extension won't
participate in 2.0 features such as Unicode and garbage collection;
for a database module, those probably don't matter.

--amk