Lib Directory

Hendrik du Toit hendrikt at payware.co.za
Wed Jan 10 14:39:20 EST 2001

Hi there,

I am using the mxODBC and mxDateTime modules on Windows NT and Python
2.0.  When the modules are extracted (unzipped) it places the modules on
a ODBC and DateTime directories.  It is then instructed to copy these
files to the lib sub directory.  I am using the above as an example but
my question is more generic:

1.  Should I copy the contents of the directory directly to the lib
directory i.e.
Lets say the extraction directory is ODBC with the .pyd modules and
__init__.pyc in this directory and other directories are ODBC\Doc
ODBC\Misc.  Should the final result then be to copy the __init__.pyc
file in the  d:\python20\lib directory and the rest of the directories
will create a structure called d:\python20\lib\doc &
d:\python20\lib\misc?. This does not make sense because there is already
a __init__.pyc file in d:\python20\lib and there might be other products
with a doc directory.  This will screw up the grouping of the products
in the d:\python20\lib directory or;
2.  Should I copy the entire ODBC sub directory to d:\python20\lib so
that I have d:\python20\lib\odbc with __init__.pyc located in this
directory and the rest of it will be d:\python20\lib\odbc\doc &
d:\python20\lib\misc?  If the later is the case, will python
automatically find the .pyc modules in these sub directories or should I
set dome environment variables?

I am a willing reader.  If anybody can point me to some documentation
about this I will go a find it there.

Regards,
Hendrik