Using Installer with PyXML

Dan Rolander dan.rolander at marriott.com
Fri Jan 19 23:39:03 EST 2001

David Bolen has been a tremendous help to me figuring out how to use Gordon
McMillan's Installer 20_3i to create standalone EXEs for Win32 with Python
2.0 and PyXML 0.6.3. We've discovered a couple of things though that I'd
like to point out and perhaps get some explanations on.

In order for Installer to properly discover the required PyXML files, we had
to rename the _xmlplus directory to xml and rename the core xml directory to
something else. According to David...

"The problem here has to be the way that the xml library tree is replacing
itself with the _xmlplus tree from the later PyXML distribution.  While
runtime re-assigns xml to _xmlplus in the __init__ for xml, the import
system used by the installation package can't track that, so it still looks
for the actual module tree it loaded from the Python distribution beneath
the name xml."

So the question is, will this adversely impact normal Python operation, and
is there a better way?

The other question I have is... Why are there two different pyexpat.pyd
files, one as part of the core 2.0 distribution (at only 25 kb) and the
other as part of the PyXML distribution in _xmlplus.parsers (at 124 kb). I
haven't been able to get the large one to work using Installer, but the
small core file works fine. What is the difference?

Thanks to anybody who can help here,
Dan