PSU uses emacs?

Brett g Porter BgPorter at NOartlogicSPAM.com
Wed Jan 24 14:26:07 EST 2001

"Ray Drew" <ray_drew at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3a6f1114.10352226 at reading.news.pipex.net...
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:46:16 +0100, "Alex Martelli"
> <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks to Alex and Roland for your tips; much appreciated.
>
> Is there a good book on vi?
>
> Does anyone have an opinion on O'reilly's 'Learning the vi Editor'?
I decided to finally learn vi a month or two ago, after an excruciatingly
bad experience with it at a job a few years back. All programmers were
_required_ to use vi. Period. That was enough to put me in a foul anti-vi
mood for several years. I made my current employers guarantee me that they
would never dictate my choice of editor before I agreed to take the gig.

However, after putting a Linux box in my office, lack of proficiency with
either vi or emacs was a serious problem for me. I decided that I would be
able to become productive in vi more quickly, so I picked up the O'Reilly
book. The book's value from my point of view was that many things that
seemed bizarre and arbitrary on my first exposure to vi turned out to be
fairly sensible. Other things I confirmed as bizarre and arbitrary. I'm
still increasing my comfort level and reaching for references or the
internal help system much less frequently, now. I wish that it was also a
full reference as well, but I've got the built-in help and all of the docs
that are available on vim.org when I need them.

Recompiling vim with Python support was also nice.

--
// Brett g Porter * Senior Engineer, Application Development
// BgPorter @ artlogic . com * http://www.artlogic.com