Name Error

Curtis Jensen cjensen at bioeng.ucsd.edu
Wed Jan 3 17:13:51 EST 2001

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Curtis Jensen wrote:
> > Below is a bit from my Python interpreter.  The "stored_data" variable
> > is a global list.  It should be seen from within the "send_data"
> > function.  However, I get a NameError here.  I ran it with pdb; pdb is
> > able to output the "stored_data" variable from within the "send_data"
> > function.  However, it still gives a NameError.
> >
> > "stored_data" works in all of my other functions except this one?  Any
> > ideas?
>
> Python 1.5.2?  do you by any chance assign to "stored_data" in
> that function?
>
> (if you can, please post the source for send_data...)
>
> cheers /F

Oh, I see the problem.  I do assign to stored_data.  It works if I
comment out the last line.  I didn't think that would cause
"stored_data" to change scopes.

Would Python 2.0 not have this problem?

def send_data():
  print stored_data[0]
  # open connection to server if not connected
  if not connected[0]:
    connect()
    connected[0] = TRUE

  for item in stored_data:
    # Convert to XML
    xml_data = XML_Pickler( item ).dumps()
    client.send( 'load' )
    # send server the data
    client.send( xml_data )
    status = client.recv()
    if not int( status ):    # get recieved status
      print 'ERROR: %s not recieved' % item.__class__.__name__
  #end for item in stored_data

  #clear stored_data
  stored_data = []
#end def send_data