Can't configure gnome-python, imlib fails with 'no --libs'

Edward D. Browne Browne at t-online.de
Sat Jan 27 08:55:05 EST 2001

Hi,
	I can't compile gnome-python-1.0.53 on either my SuSE7.0
or Redhat7.0 systems, both failing with the same error, namely:

 bison# ./configure
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/ginstall -c
checking for gawk... (cached) gawk
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) cc -E
checking for python... /usr/local/bin/python
checking local Python configuration... looks good
checking for headers required to compile python extensions... found
checking for gtk-config... /usr/local/bin/gtk-config
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.6... yes
checking for imlib-config... /usr/local/bin/imlib-config
checking for IMLIB - version >= 1.8.2... no
*** Could not run IMLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means IMLIB was incorrectly installed
*** or that you have moved IMLIB since it was installed. In the latter case, you
*** may want to edit the imlib-config script: /usr/local/bin/imlib-config
checking for gnome-config... no
checking for gnomeConf.sh file in /usr/local/lib... not found
configure: error: Could not find the gnomeConf.sh file that is generated by gnome-libs install
bison#

ALTHOUGH I *DO* HAVE A (MORE OR LESS) WORKING imlib-config INSTALLED:

bison% /usr/local/bin/imlib-config --version
1.9.8
bison%

BUT WHEN "CONFIGURE" CALLSE IT, IT FAILS AT THE LINE WHERE THE COMMAND `no --libs`
(C0MPLETE WITH BACKTICKS) IS EMBEDDED IN THE SCRIPT:

bison% /usr/local/bin/imlib-config --libs-gdk
/usr/local/bin/imlib-config: no: command not found
-L/usr/local/lib -lgdk_imlib -ljpeg -ltiff -lungif -lpng -lz -lm
bison%

This is obviously because it is trying to execute what's between the
backticks, namely `no --libs`, but "no" is not a command (that I know
of).  Is this what is desired?  How the heck do I get this thing to
"configure" properly?

TIA - Any and all suggestions welcome - Ed

email addresses: eddie at bnro.de    or Browne at t-online.de