Advice for a first project

A.M. Kuchling amk at mira.erols.com
Fri Jan 26 19:49:52 EST 2001

Quinn Dunkan's followup to your question is a good one, but I'd like to
raise one higher-level issue.

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 23:53:16 +0000,
	AlisdairM <alisdair.meredith at NO_SPAM_PLEASE.benettonformula.com> wrote:
>The basic project will be our source-code archiver/release manager.  We

Have you already looked at existing source code control systems such
as CVS, simple RCS, Perforce, Bitkeeper, &c?  Bugs in a source code
archiver could be really costly; if you have to roll back to an
earlier version and then discover that the earlier versions are
corrupt, well, that would be disastrous.  Existing systems also offer
more features than you can probably find the time to implement --
branches, showing diffs, network access -- and there are third-party
tools built around them (ViewCVS/Bonsai/cvsweb for browsing through a
CVS repository on the Web, syncmail for sending e-mail notifications,
etc.).  There's no need to reinvent the wheel, particularly when
you're going to be putting an awful lot of weight on it.

--amk