Thank you (was Re: Should I learn Python or Java?)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Jan 8 23:23:26 EST 2001

D-Man wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 10:21:26PM -0500, Peter Hansen wrote:
> | Given how easy it has been to demonstrate the
> | advantages of Python over many alternatives, I would
> | think you could successfully build yourself an opportunity
> | to program in Python in your next company.
> |

> The company I am working for now uses Java for the SDK and runtime
> library.  Part of the purpose of the product is to generate a Java
> class that our customers can use to do screen scraping from Java
> apps/applets.  Due to the nature of this product and its target
> audience it is rather tied to Java.

I've found that there are always many applications to
be found beyond the basic core work that a company does.
My company builds RF repeater devices ('coverage extension
products') which don't directly involve Python.  On the
other hand, the development environment involves dozens
of utilities of various levels of complexity, all written
in Python (with a few minor exceptions).  The production
testing environment has now been automated with Python.
We use Python for some PC applications which will
end up as complementary products customers will use
with our 'real' products.

Even when I was doing Java work I needed the benefits
of Python for a variety of scripting applications.
Didn't have it at the time, but that was just my own
bad luck.  Don't let people in your company try to
force you into using Java for inappropriate work (such
as internal utilities), and don't let them get away
with using languages other than Python in other areas
if you feel Python would be more suitable.