stack limits

Michael McCandless mail at mikemccandless.com
Mon Jan 1 17:50:12 EST 2001

Hello,

I've been using the Misc/find_recursionlimit.py script to see how deeply
I'm allowed to recurse in Python.  The problem is, when I change the
limit at the shell prompt (tcsh), it seems to have no effect on what
that script reports, until the limit drops below 1024 KB.  (My shell
defaults to 65 MB).  Has anyone seen this as well?

Under UNIX, besides the shell's limit or ulimit command, is there some
hidden per-thread stack size, perhaps compiled in by gcc?

(I'm running Python 2.0 on FreeBSD 4.2, compiled with gcc 2.95.2).

Any pointers would be great, thanks,

Mike