python compiled to native in less than a year?

Tom nospam at nospam.com
Mon Jan 15 18:22:15 EST 2001

No, that is incorrect.

IL is fully documented (available on MS/Intel/HP sites), and has been handed
over to a standards body so MS can't patent it or charge any money for it.
Anyone can do anything they want with it - for free.  For the record, they
have also handed over C# and all of the API's for their new environment
except for the (very important) DB and GUI API's.

I am not suggesting that they don't have an angle here.  They, like Sun,
will do anything they can get away with.

As regards Java, the trick is that it isn't similarly standardized, so they
can charge royalties for it whenever they want (ie. after it gets
established).

Tom.

"Giuseppe Bilotta" <oblomov at freemail.it> wrote in message
news:G9K86.60439$eB2.5067059 at news.infostrada.it...
> Knowing M$, at least one of the following will hold :
>
> 1) M$ will not cleanly document IL, making it almost impossible to know it
apporpriately;
> 2) M$ will patent IL, so royalties will have to be paid for its use (aka:
bye-bye, Free Software)

GqH86.6041$J%.605518 at news.flash.net...

phd at phd.pp.ru