Strange variable scope... is this right?

Patricia Hawkins phawkins at spamnotconnact.com
Sat Jan 20 19:26:27 EST 2001

>>>>> "g" == gradha  <gradha at iname.com> writes:

g> I expected python to bark at me like C would, but from what I read in the
g> tutorials, this seems to be one of those variable scope issues, right?
g> AFAICS, python will create a different variable scope at both for's,
g> hence the possibility to reuse the variable name f, since it means a
g> different thing at each scope, being unavailable from outside it's scope.

Ahem! Woof, woof:

[pjh at judith pjh]$ cat scope.c
#include <stdio.h>
main()
{
  int a = 3;
  printf ("outer a: %i \n", a);
  {
           int a = 77;
           printf("inner a: %i \n", a);
  }
  printf ("bottom: outer a: %i \n", a);

}
[pjh at judith pjh]$ gcc scope.c
[pjh at judith pjh]$ ./a.out
outer a: 3
inner a: 77
bottom: outer a: 3
[pjh at judith pjh]$

Are-there-no-c-programmers-among-us-ly yours,
        Patricia
--
Patricia J. Hawkins
Hawkins Internet Applications, LLC