Using Python instead of...

Harry George hgg9140 at cola.ca.boeing.com
Thu Jan 18 14:15:00 EST 2001

Several answers:

1. If you have to use some library available only in Java, then stick
   with Java (though you might look at Jython).

2. For our resumes, we all need some Java experience, but maybe you
   have that already.  We also need experience with lots of
   technologies (LDAP, Web server, encryption, regular expressions,
   parsing, XML, SQL, etc.)  For learning technologies, I find Python
   much faster than Java.  Those skills are then applicable across
   platforms and langauges.

3. Python is not yet massively mainstream, but it is definitely
   growing, and is recognized as a significant cross-platform tool.  I
   work in an environment which has MS-VB fans, platform-neutral-Java
   fans, and Unix-Perl fans.  Recently a co-worker (MS champion) and I
   (Linux/OSS champion) discovered we both consider Python a major
   productivity breakthrough in our worlds.  Anything that brings us
   together has to be good :-)

4. I wrote XML apps in Java for a year, then shifted to python.  Same
   functionality took roughly 1/2 the LOC in python as in java.  And
   far more maintainable.

Harry George                E-mail:  harry.g.george at boeing.com
The Boeing Company          Renton:  (425) 237-6915
P. O. Box 3707  02-CA       Everett: (425) 266-3868
Seattle, WA 98124-2207      Page:    (425) 631-8803