ActivePython2.0 - Server Side objects for ASP problem

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Jan 11 11:57:09 EST 2001

"Steve Williams" <sandj.williams at gte.net> wrote in message
news:3A5DD081.F37275A at gte.net...
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
> > "Satheesh Babu" <vsbabu at erols.com> wrote in message
> > news:93k6k5$1g7$1 at bob.news.rcn.net...
> > [snip]
>
> > > Making a COM object on the server is also beyond me.
> >
> > If you get a copy of Mark Hammond and Andy Robinson's "Python
Programming on
> > Win32" you'll be doing it before bedtime and thinking nothing of it.
> > Seriously, it's a lot less complicated than you might imagine.
> >

> [snip]
>
> Danger Will Robinson!!
>
> You can, indeed, write and install a COM object on the server before
bedtime,
> but you might be up all night getting your client to talk to it.  Some
pitfalls:

> 1)    The client doesn't have Python installed.  It uses MS Access or VB
or
> Excel or Word.  How do you register your COM server on the client?   Whose
> classid/appid do you use?  Light a taper and go down into the regedit
dungeon.

> 2)    When you try to use the COM object you get 'Permission Denied'.
Time to
> read a ton of MS Q documents and maybe talk to an unfriendly and ignorant
NT
> administrator.
>
> 3)    When you try to use the COM object, you get 'ActiveX can't create. .
.'.
> Time for some more bedtime reading.
>
> 4)    Your client is a laptop manufactured in the Pleistocene era and
needs
> dcomcnfg and regsvr32. . .  Don't forget the service packs.
>
> 5)    You call your friends and they say "I've never had that problem,
maybe you
> should install MTS. . ."

I understand these objections. But I also understood Satheesh to mean he was
thinking of having the web server communicate with the COM object, not the
web client. He clearly knows what he's doing in that area (did you take a
look at the site he was testing with?), and he clearly already had PythonCom
installed on his server (even if it was PWS: the same server I used to debug
his original problem).

In other words the COM object's client will be the web server, which has
Python installed.

So I suspect that all your valid objections are objections to something I
wasn't suggesting, and are not required. I could be wrong, though. Maybe I
*was* suggesting that, or maybe that *is* required :-)

if-mts-is-the-answer-then-the-problem-was-probably-created-by-microsoft-ly
y'rs  - steve