Using PythonWin Python Rich Edit Control in MFC App

Neil Hodgson neilh at scintilla.org
Tue Jan 30 19:36:32 EST 2001

btheld2 at my-deja.com:

> ...  Basically, I want a control that I can use as a python
> command line in a dialog that acts like the one in PythonWin.exe.  I
> have looked at scintilla, but if I use that, I need to implement all of
> the python specific stuff for indenting, coloring, etc...  It would be
> much easier just to use a control from the PythonWin.exe if possible.

   PythonWin uses Scintilla for this purpose but enhances Scintilla with
quite a lot of Python code much of which is shared with IDLE. It is not
packaged up in a form that would be easy to reuse in a C++/MFC application.
OTOH, PythonWin is an MFC application and is designed to be extensible, so
if you were to base your application on PythonWin then you could include its
Interactive Window.

   Some other toolkits (wxPython and JPython, IIRC) have developed what you
are looking for but their Python console components would only be easily
reusable within projects based on those toolkits.

   Neil