Speed of Python vs. Perl

Jeff Epler jepler at inetnebr.com
Sat Jan 6 15:06:12 EST 2001

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001 13:23:25 -0500, AndroidMonkey
 <androidmonkey[REMOVETHIS]@hotmail.com> wrote:
>In the last Maximum Linux magazine, there was an article about using Perl
>for a car MP3 player.  It got me wondering - What's the speed of Python like
>compared to Perl? I've never used Perl before, so I hope someone could
>answer my question here. Thanks  -vm

I haven't read the magazine you refer to, but either Python or Perl would be
fast enough to control an mp3 player, including displaying the state of
playback, manipulating playlists, and accepting user input.

In Python, you might use Gtk, Tkinter, or curses to display a GUI interface,
popen2 or a custom extension module to control the underlying mp3 decoder,
and custom classes class for playlists and tracks.  I am not familiar with
the format of mp3 tags, but there have been several threads in the newsgroup
about them recently.  I imagine that a nicely written module for getting title/
artist/etc information out of the files must exist by now.

You won't actually write an mp3 decoder in perl or python, it will be written
in C, possibly with portions in assembler for the lowest CPU consumption.

Jeff