book recommendation?

Remco Gerlich scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl
Wed Jan 10 09:26:25 EST 2001

lsloan00 at my-deja.com <lsloan00 at my-deja.com> wrote in comp.lang.python:
> In article <92t6e7$9jn$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   lsloan00 at my-deja.com wrote:
> > I'm looking for a book
> > that would be a good language reference, but also
> > has introductions to Python's special features without
> > being too "slow".
>
> Okay, I'm being too picky.  Since nobody's given any
> suggestions, maybe my request should be:
>
> Please recommend a good Python book.

Since you have experience with three other languages already, I'm tempted to
recommend "Python Essential Reference". It's a very good reference book. It
also includes a short tutorial, but at 11 pages it may be too short. I don't
own it myself, but the reviews have been uniformly positive.

I learned Python with "Learning Python", also having programming experience,
and I liked it a lot. Python has only a few tricky things to understand, and
this book explained them well. But it's not a reference at all.

There are lots of other books, see http://www.amk.ca/bookstore/python.html .

There is of course also the online method: read the tutorial at
www.python.org, browse the library reference, read this group, ask questions
and help other newbies on the Tutor list, that sort of thing :).

--
Remco Gerlich