win32 DLL import problem

John J. Lee phrxy at csv.warwick.ac.uk
Mon Jan 29 08:47:48 EST 2001

Python 2.0 running on win95 gives me the following on trying to import a
copy of multipack I compiled on NT:

> >> import Multipack
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "c:\python20\multipack\Multipack.py, line 16, in ?
>     from minpack import *
>   File "c:\python20\multipack\minpack.py", line 2, in ?
>     import _minpack
> ImportError: DLL load failed: One of the library files needed to run this
> application cannot be found.

but apparently doesn't feel the need to tell me *which* library file it
can't find.  It can't be _minpack.pyd, because it just found two other
files in the same directory -- unless it doesn't recognise it as a valid
.pyd for some reason?

I compiled multipack on NT with cygwin, with the -mno-cygwin switch, which
is supposed to link against the same C run-time library as the python 2.0
distribution itself, msvcrt.dll (which is there on the win95 machine)
rather than the cygwin crtdll, so presumably that can't be the problem,
but since I don't know which file it can't find, it's hard to say!  It
does import okay on NT.

Thanks for any help

John