adding the XML to 2.0 to be a mistake?

Paul Prescod paulp at ActiveState.com
Thu Jan 18 23:01:59 EST 2001

Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> John Schmitt <jschmitt at vmlabs.com> writes:
> > Pardon the ignorance, but where is the mistake?  Is it in adding PyXML to
> > 2.0 or is it the way it was done?  Is there no development strategy that
> > makes this less of a burden?  If a previous release of PyXML had been added
> > to 2.0, would you still consider it a mistake?
>
> Duplicating complex code in two different projects, so that they have
> to be kept in sync manually at the cost of time and effort, is the
> mistake.

I agree with this. I don't think that minidom should have an existence
independent of Python. The PyXML minidom should be phased out. The only
reason it was not is because some people still use it with older
versions of Python. But that will always be a problem when code is moved
from an "extension" environment to the standard library.

> Another one is tying a fast-moving project such as PyXML to
> the slower releases of Python; Python 2.0 was released on October 16,
> and there have been two PyXML releases (0.6.2 and 0.6.3) since then.

I don't know what you mean by saying that PyXML is "tied to Python."
PyXML depends on Python, just as PIL and NumPy do.

 Paul Prescod