Python and Industry, IBM I'm afraid

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Tue Jan 16 02:42:44 EST 2001

[Pete]
> Has anyone ported Python to IBM iSeries 400?...Or is this
> considered too much hassle, because they are big fat trucks
> of servers - and come bundled with no GUI support (they have
> had posix for many years)?...Or are people waiting for Linux
> support in a logical OS partition?...Or does no one care?

A Python port to platform X, regardless of X, is almost always done by some
user of X who wants to run Python on X, and usually working alone.  That's
how things work in any project without revenue to pay for a port (don't know
whether you've used Python, but if you have and someone charged you for it,
you were suckered bigtime).

I don't know whether there are any Python ports to IBM iSeries 400, but, if
there aren't, that would be because no IBM iSeries 400 user bothered to port
it.  In which case, you'll have to ask them what their hangup is -- or ask
IBM why they don't think it's worth their time to make a port available.
Note that Intel and Microsoft cared enough to pay ActiveState for a Win64
Python port.  So there's more than one way to get a port done, but the only
way that's free requires a volunteer.

> I say this because in the rarified atmosphere of this newsgroup (hee
> hee) an ignorant observer might well think that Python thrives only
> in academy land.

Huh -- that really *would* be an ignorant observer <0.7 wink>.

win95-ain't-exactly-a-postdoc-status-symbol-ly y'rs  - tim