I mean *setup.py* ! ... (more questions)

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at virginia.edu
Tue Jan 23 17:08:55 EST 2001

On 23 Jan 2001, Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> setup.py was written using 2.0's Modules/Setup.in as a guide to
> platform specific problems; it didn't mention MacOS X, of course.  Try
> the untested patch below; you'll need to fix whatever sys.platform is
> on MacOS X.  Please let me know what it is and let me know if it
> works.
>

> +	if sys.platform == 'XXX fill this in':

< +	if sys.platform == 'Darwin1.2':

make clean
make

Oops! I forgot to delete the phoney libm.a I created.

Try again: It works. ( for the -lm problem. I did readline
without the -ltermcap manually and continued with make. )

I answered one of my other questions with a test: sticking
termios and fcntl into Modules/Setup did seem to cause it
to NOT build as a shared lib.

I did find one other MacOS case insensitivity problem:
 although socketmodule is built as _socketmodule.so, and included
by lib/socket.py, lib/plat-Darwin1.2/SOCKET.py appears
to be un-importable. (  on an HFS+ volume, that is. )

I noticed again that 'make test' doesn't really work until
after a 'make install' , as none of the platform files are
generated from lib/plat-generic until the install phase.

Ideally, this ought to get done earlier in the make.

If there no simple fix for that: what do we need to do to
get a lib/plat-Darwin1.2 directory with prebuilt files
added to the distribution ?  ( I have all the files after
a successful install. )

-- Steve Majewski