is Python fully object oriented ?

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Wed Jan 10 22:17:03 EST 2001

D-Man <dsh8290 at rit.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 04:30:03PM -0800, Aahz Maruch wrote:
> | In article <20010110184830.13286.00000826 at ng-fg1.aol.com>,
> | Crutoy <crutoy at aol.com> wrote:
> | >
> | >Hi , i haven't used Python but i do have experience in other languages vb ,
> | >java , c++ . Is Python a fully object oriented ? Thanks
> |
> | Python is fully object oriented if you consider Java and C++ to be fully
> | object oriented.  If you don't consider those two fully object oriented,
> | you may not consider Python to be fully object oriented.

> Python also support free-standing functions, similar to C++.

But those functions are objects too. :)

Anyway, there's no problem with doing object oriented programming in Python,
and it's in fact more fun and easier than doing the same in Java and C++,
by many reports (I can testify personally for the comparison with C++).

And as said by the previous poster, Python works fine with a procedural or
mixed style of programming as well.

Regards,

Martijn