Scripting WMI with win32com

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Fri Jan 26 00:48:40 EST 2001

I was wondering if anyone has done scripting of WMI with win32com and
dealt with making method calls after parsing the typelib?  I've been
experimenting to see if it would be usable for management of LANs in
the field, and in general it looks nice, but I run into some issues
when trying to invoke methods on provider objects (such as the Win32
provider).

What seems to happen is that running makepy on the provider library
identifies all of the SWbem* objects, but when I obtain a provider
object, it just looks like an instance of SWbemObject.  That makes
sense, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how to invoke a method
on such an object cleanly and access properties.  It would appear that
both VBScript and JScript have some special support for this, which
involves looking at the Properties_ and (I suppose) Methods_
collections when a direct notation (e.g., object.value or
object.call()) is used.

I had some issues with accessing properties too, but found some older
threads that showed a function-call method of doing a name lookup on
the Properties_ value (or via the Item call) which works fine.  But
I'm not quite sure how to play with the methods.

In some respects, it's almost easier if I use the dynamic approach
since I'm getting caught by the actual Python objects generated by
makepy - if it just passes the attribute and method operations through
they work.  (But of course I'm sure I'll find something that won't handle
the parameters or output right without the typelib).

Thanks for any help.

--
-- David