Pyditor, Text editor fully extendible in python a la' Emacs

Quinn Dunkan quinn at groat.ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon Jan 29 22:08:27 EST 2001

>>  There is already a project like this? (btw, i dont like wily :)

Oops, I responeded saying acme / wily do almost all of these already before
getting here :)  Except they do the 'everything reachable with menus' one
better by having everything reachable in plain sight.  And instead of
'all modules configurable from one interface' it's 'only one interface period,
and no module configuration required' :)

I guess the point is that if you want something just like everything else out
there, but with python, there are a million editors already like that, and
making yet another "new" one only-with-python, or retrofitting python to an
old one is not going to let you do anything you couldn't before.  That's just
my personal experience, having used a number of editors scriptable with
python, and finding out that python added very little (except a lot of extra
code and startup time to the editor).  Maybe just me, though.  wily could
certainly be improved (mostly by becoming more like acme :) i.e. plumbing
instead of hard coded search patterns, better script interface, etc.) but it
seems like a good place to start, unless one disagrees with its There's A
Right Way To Do It principle (if so, why all the interest in python support?
<wink>).