Different deployment considerations (was: Python & GUI?)

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Mon Jan 22 16:12:37 EST 2001

Mike Fletcher <mfletch at tpresence.com> writes:

> I do wxPython-based distributions using installer quite often, they are not
> "single file" installations, as you get the PythonXX.dll, wxc.pyd,
> wxXXX.dll, zlib.pyd, etceteras all as separate files. I think you get the
> same for the Tkinter apps, so not really sure what's meant by "single file"
> here.

You can get "single file" by using a Windows installation package
(like InstallShield, Wise, or the free InnoSetup).

> There's nothing special to do for wxPython, I just run "standalone" or
> "simple" and the app is generated with the DLLs collected.  Once I rename
> msvcirt.dll to msvcrt.dll I've got a working application.

You've got to be careful with that - the MSVC*RT.DLL files are the C
run time, and are sometimes system specific - not to mention not being
identical.  I'm drawing a blank on precisely the differences, but I
seem to recall that MSVCRT40 delegates various functionality to
MSVCIRT.DLL.  I know know that I messed stuff up during testing by
letting my (NT) MSVCIRT.DLL file get installed on a Win98 system.  In
the end, I've taken to wimping out and assuming that my clients need
those present and I won't supply them.  They come with many MS
applications, and I think can be downloaded as a runtime independently
if necessary, but I haven't run into any problems yet.

Note that this issue is independent of Python or wxPython - it's a
general problem with deciding how to update some of the system DLLs.

--
-- David