Should I learn Python or Java?

Charlotte Williams charlottwilliams at mediaone.net
Sat Jan 6 19:21:59 EST 2001

Hello,

    I am a Visual Basic programmer who wants to increase his knowledge of
programming languages.  Now that the curses, boos, and barrage of rotten
fruit are out of the way, I would like to ask this group a few questions
:-) ...

I notice that there is a lot of demand for Java programmers.  The only
experience I have with an OO language is Smalltalk.   My questions are:

1.  Which language would be best to learn, Java or Python.  From a VB
standpoint, which has the least learning curve?
2.  Is going from object-based to object-oriented programming that huge a
jump?   I want to learn an OO language, however I plan on utilizing it in my
career.
3. Which one is the most "fun" to program in?
4.  Is Python multi-platform?  How is it's performance compared to JAVA in
an internet situation?  It's reliability?
5.  Do you for see Python as becoming a major player like Java servlets and
MTS?  Can you see Python demand outstripping Java demand in 2 years time?

Many of these questions are in response to a post I saw earlier where Python
was being touted as the next evolution of OO programming.  It went something
like...
C --> C++ --> Java --> Python.

I'm really interested in hearing from VB programmers that decided to jump
into one or both of the languages,  has pretty good knowledge (enough to get
a Java or Python job) and the headaches and experiences they had learning
about them.  Do you need a formal CS education to grasp them?  I tried
finding information on these two, but the experiences I always found were C
or C++ programmers that tried to tackle them.  Some sites actually belittled
me as a VB programmer.  Since I have heard such good things about this
groups hospitality, I thought I would ask here first.  Thanks.

David Williams