PHP vs Python

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Jan 14 23:59:31 EST 2001

TC wrote:

> Hi

Hi!

> I did a quick search for deja python +php +review
> not even 1 relevent hit ...so
> any takers points of interest
>
> 0- how long is a peice of string ? ;)

Seven.

> 1-which one is going to be around longer, why ??

The piece of string?  No, wait, I see.  The answer
is Python.  No argument is possible.  (Two possible
reasons, one being that Python was here first...)

> 2-who has more users

Don't know.  Suspect it's Python, that one being
rather broader in scope ("rather" means "massively"
in my world).

> 3-who hits the wall in scaling up and or handing complexity

PHP.

> 4-general performance

Python is better for "general" performance,
given that PHP is not designed for "general"
use.

> 5-where would I be better off using PHP over Python

An environment already using PHP.  Or an environment
where Python is not available.  Or if you know
only PHP.  Only sure about the first two...

> 6-DB interfaces consistent
>    -seems python has a standad API PHP appears
>     all over the map depending on DB

Probably true.

Since you don't specify even in the slightest your
intended use for either of these languages, it must
be inferred.  Unfortunately, there are conflicting
hints.  The mere fact you are looking at PHP suggests
you are focused on web development.  On the other
hand, you do mention "general performance", implying
perhaps that you have more than a narrow application
area in mind.  Give us more info and the answers
might be useful.  I doubt mine is. :)

There is a chance, if you have a very narrow focus
on server-side web scripting in mind, that PHP
might be more suitable for you.  If that is not
your sole focus, don't waste your time.