[OT] Shared Libraries (was Re: Deployment woes (was: I will kill my Python))

Moshe Zadka moshez at zadka.site.co.il
Sat Jan 20 14:57:59 EST 2001

[Moshe Zadka]
> Basically, the problem is thorny, the solution is hairy, and the only
> saving grace of Linux is that the packages have concepts of dependancies.

[Quinn Dunkan]
> How about static linking?

It solves a different problem (code reuse) -- but not the problems shared
libraries were meant to solve (less space on disk, less space in memory,
transparent upgradeability).

Since the solution is sometimes worse then the problem, sometimes
it's better to do static linking. On Windows too <wink>.

life-is-complex-ly y'rs, Z.
--
Moshe Zadka <sig at zadka.site.co.il>
This is a signature anti-virus.