I (don' ) will kill my Python

Gerrit Muller gmuller at worldonline.nl
Sat Jan 20 14:33:17 EST 2001

Tim Peters heeft geschreven in bericht ...
>[Bruno Schaefer]
<...snip...>
>> To improve the popularity of Python and to use it as first programming
>> language this topic to create standalones is very important.
>
>I don't think so.  See below.

<...snip...>
>Python was never designed for standalone operation.  That's life.  What
they
>*should* say is:  "This is my program!  I have created it by myself!  Look!
>And it's only 507 bytes!  Now you go to http://www.python.org/2.0/ and
click
>on 'Windows installer'.  Then we can share tiny Python programs via email
>forever after."
>
>I'm philosophically opposed to teaching kids that sharing fun programs
>requires swapping multi-megabyte platform-specific binary executables over
>high-speed internet connections.  It's much better if their friends have
>Python installed too.  Then they can also jump into the program, change it,
>improve it, do a bit of *programming* themselves.  The nearly unbounded
>artificial pain of producing platform-dependent binaries is someting Python
>was deliberately designed to get away from.

<...snip...>
Nevertheless I agree with Bruno that the route via a full-blown python
installation is an additional hurdle for simple demonstration versions. From
"naieve" user point of view a single-click or single copy installation is
expected for simple demonstrators.

What would the size of a platform-dependent (windows) binary for a simple
Python/Tkinter based program, using static linked libraries? Looking at the
tkinter dll's it will be in the low megabyte order of magnitude?

Assuming bytecode programs in the order of 10..100 kbyte, for frequent
sharing of programs a "normal" python installation is preferred, since this
reduces the traffic some 2 orders of magnitude.

>the-freeze-utilities-are-exactly-as-good-as-volunteers-made-them-ly
>    y'rs  - tim

regards Gerrit