Literate programming in Python

Terry Hancock hancock at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 17 23:16:53 EST 2001

> Hello,
> I'd like to know if there exist a "literate programming" language for Python (possibly
> using the same structure/conventions of
> WEB/CWEB, the first literate programming languages, developed by D.E.Knuth and Silvio Levy,
> resp. for Pascal and C/C++).
>
> Thank you for your attention,
>
> --
> Giuseppe Bilotta

I don't know of such a thing, but you should be aware of "Spider",
which is a program for creating new literate programming tools
for new languages (i.e. you could use spider to _make_ the tool
you want).  Spider is by Norman Ramsey, circa 1989, at Princeton
University. You can probably get it from a number of places
(CTAN archives?), but I know it's available as a Debian package
(from http://www.debian.org).  I think it allows for a higher
level of generality than is the case with cweb.

Best of luck!
--
Terry Hancock
hancock at earthlink.net