How to extend sys.path on Win9x permanently?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jan 30 02:47:46 EST 2001

Martin Bless wrote:

> Python20, Win98, PythonWin
>
> (1) I'd like   Python.exe/DOS    AND   Python in PythonWin   to start
> up  with an extended sys.path, having my own lib added,  as if a
> sys.path.append('c:\\mylib') had already been performed.
> How can I add the extra path permanently?

Note certain, but it's likely that site.py is imported even under
PythonWin.  If that's true, and it should be easy to test, just
create a file in your Python directory with an extension .PTH,
and place within it the name of the directory you want added
to sys.path.

For example, in my directory n:\a\python, I have a file 'lib.pth'
that contains the single line 'n:\lib\python'.  Every time I
run a script, it adds this to the end of my sys.path.

Beats editing the registry, too.

> (2) Here's what sys.path is on my machine. Where is this defined?
> Registry?
>  *.ini?
> Hard coded?

Yes, registry.  Grim but possibly the only place PythonWin can
find it.  Not sure.

> (3) I'd hate having to put something like "set $PYTHONPATH=..." into
> AUTOSTART.BAT, since DOS environment space is very limited.

Doesn't your Windows support adding lines to config.sys, such as:
   shell=c:\command.com /p /e:4096
which would extend environment space to 4K?