Python vs Ruby

Johann Hibschman johann at physics.berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 24 12:21:47 EST 2001

James Lockley writes:

> Just been reading a "Ruby centric" comparison of Ruby vs Python on:
> http://helium.ruby-lang.org/en/compar.html

> would be interested to hear the Pythonista view....

I've played with Ruby a bit, but only played with it.  It's a nice
language, with a bunch of fun features, like iterators, which I
thought were cool when I first ran into them in Sather.  (Originally
from Icon, or something like that?  No matter.)

I'm a bear of little brain, and I can fit most of Python into my head,
but I had trouble getting all of Ruby in, because it had just that
much more complexity.  That's probably just practice, though.

I'm not such a big fan of OO that I think everything has to be an
object.  Functions are nice, too.  :-)

Johann Hibschman                           johann at physics.berkeley.edu