Unicode string output

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 25 08:06:25 EST 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Why would you want to set the encoding on a per application
> basis, BTW ?

Because some applications work with Unicode, others with latin-1,
and others again with sjis, for instance. I don't want to have
to explicitly select an encoding throughout the whole application,
that just opens up more possibilities for bugs. I might want Zope
to use a default of latin-1 (perhaps - I don't know much about
Zope), but Kura needs utf-8.

Another thing with a system-wide standard is the different
preferences of users. I need Unicode and Latin-1, but my wife,
who uses the same machine needs latin-1 and koi-8.

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org