dns reverse look up with python ?

Donn Cave donn at oz.net
Tue Jan 9 11:25:24 EST 2001

Quoth "Ralf Claus" <ralf.claus at t-online.de>:

| any suggestion about this theme ?
| Is there a way for me (newbie) ?

>>> import socket
>>> socket.gethostbyname('t-online.de')
'194.25.134.132'
>>> socket.gethostbyaddr('194.25.134.132')
('www1.sul.t-online.de', [], ['194.25.134.132'])

That's what I understand "reverse lookup" to mean.  Given
a DNS name, like the host name that appears in your email
address "t-online.de", first I look up the IP address with
gethostbyname().  Then, I look up the DNS address by the
IP address.

Hopefully, after this procedure you have a stable pair of
IP and DNS addresses, so if you repeat this procedure you
will continue to get the same answer.  That's the point.

	Donn Cave, donn at oz.net