Web devel with python. Whats the best route?

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Mon Jan 15 12:50:49 EST 2001

In article <93uqu302sdf at news1.newsguy.com>, "Alex Martelli"
<aleaxit at yahoo.com> writes:

| "Erno Kuusela" <erno-news at erno.iki.fi> wrote in message
| news:kud7dpg247.fsf at lasipalatsi.fi...
|     [snip]
|| that's what i said, they are a part of the information :). http
|| tries to be stateless in principle (cookies aren't part of the http
|| spec i think).

| Wrong, see RFC 2109, "HTTP State Management Mechanism".  That is
| where cookies are specified in detail.

that doesn't make them part of http :)

|| the content behind the session-unique url is perfectly cacheable by
|| intermediate proxies, unlike for cookies.

| See session "4.2.3 Controlling Caching" of rfc2109; cookies give
| you very fine-grained control of what is intended to get cached
| where (actually, the Cache-control header does that, but, it's
| designed to work with HTTP state management, i.e., cookies).

ok, i stand corrected.

|| a large percentage of the people i know are using either junkbuster or
|| a browser (such as mozilla and konqueror) that can enable/disable
|| cookies on a per-site basis.

| Bully for them.  If they decide that they don't want client-side
| state to be stored on their machine, I guess that makes sense for
| them; so, use the standard-specified way to offer up state for
| client-side storage (i.e., cookies) and let the users decide.

just because there's a standard for something doesn't mean it is good
or desireable.

i wonder if you're aware of the motivation behind not wanting
to accept all cookies? for some background, read
<URL:http://www.epic.org/privacy/internet/cookies/>.

i for example usually just skip sites that don't work with
my default no-cookies/no-javascript browser setting.

the url approach cannot be subverted for the use cookies
most often see.

  -- erno